Saturday, July 21, 2012

More work... not all visible

Friday I took a half day and brought Numbers Two and Three Sons up with me.  The camp has fourteen windows, and each window has four 1x6 pieces of trim.  I had done two coats on the trim for two windows earlier, but with the dark green paint I am using 3 coats are needed, and most of the trim was still white.

So I set up an assembly line, where I would clean the boards, Two would paint all 4 edges with a little trim painting pad on a stick, and then Three would get the top surface with a four inch roller.  This worked out great, and by the time V2 showed up with our dinner we had a first coat on just about everything.

After dinner, we took care of the around-the-window siding we'd had to give up on last week, then took a walk, and returned to the camp to swat at bugs and read in bed.

Saturday morning, my brother Paul showed up to check out what we'll need for wiring and see the camp in person.  We now have a shopping list, and another list of things to get done before we can get the wiring in : )  but, once we get the outside done we know what we'll need for the inside.

Turns out, Number Two Son really liked the scaffolding, and since I hate heights, he started helping his dad do the front siding (the basement level will eventually have stone facing).  Number Three Son, who had done quite a bit of work on Friday, decided his talents were best used elsewhere - namely, listening to his iPod in the loft and reading.  So, I worked on putting on a second coat of green paint on all the trim.  V2 took the boys to lunch (I requested takeout and painted while they were gone) and they had just come back with my food when we got more visitors: V2's parents came up to check out our progress.

On their last visit, we didn't even have a roof...
After they left, we worked on the front siding again, and almost made it all the way across; but V2 had yet another gig, this time in Saratoga during the opening weekend of the track season, so we had (again) to leave with just a tiny bit of work around the window and a few more boards to go.  Oh, well, there's always next weekend - we need a day off so tomorrow will be hanging around the house, where there are more than enough neglected projects to keep us busy.

We finished the day with a quick swim to get the paint/sawdust off for V2, and a longer swim for me and the boys, topped off with a game of "find the glasses which were sitting on a towel and are now under the dock" started by Number Three Son; I won by locating the glasses (my prize is not having to buy him new ones).

Here are the photos:

I appear in a photo - a rare occurrence!

V2's mom took pictures of us at work - note the stack of trim in the garage the same shade of green as my knees

V2 and Number Two Son work on the siding

From the road: more "camp", less "eyesore"

This weeks progress.  Once again an unfinished side....